There are some simple and sensible things you can do to prevent the growth of mould in and around your home.
- Maintain your home’s eavestroughs and downspouts, making sure they drain away from the building’s foundation.
- Avoid hanging wet laundry in the home, and clean your dryer lint trap after every use.
- Leave the washing machine door open after use to dry the interior, and drain any drip pans or buckets in use with air conditioners, refrigerators or dehumidifiers.
- Keep your sump pump covered.
- Repair any leaks in your home’s foundation, walls and roof.
- Check home foundation, walls, windows, roof, plumbing, tubs and sinks for water leaks. If you find a leak or a spill, dry the area and fix the leak. Dry window sills affected by cold-weather condensation or warm-weather rain.
- Ventilate your house by using exhaust fans when cooking or showering, letting the fan run for a few minutes after you are finished.
- Make sure the clothes dryer, bathroom and kitchen fans, stoves, and oil or propane heaters are vented to the outside properly.
- Install an air exchange system, such as the EZ Breathe Ventilation System, to your home to reduce moisture and remove mould spores.
R.C. White Ltd. is a member of EACO, the Environmental Abatement Council of Ontario. If you are unsure of your ability to remove any amount of mould safely and effectively, you can contact us for advice.